10 Things to Remember:
- Know your rights
- Find a supportive teacher or administrator (or other adult in the community) to mentor your group
- Build a coalition by finding other supportive students & organizations
- Find a safe space to hold meetings
- Create a purpose & mission statement
- Create a constitution! Remember to include: rules for conduct; outlines of meeting timing and structure; job descriptions & election procedures for officers/leaders
- Plan meeting topics and structures well ahead of time, and have guest speakers!
- Be a better advocate by staying informed of terminology, current events, and laws
- Network with other GSAs in your area – Share ideas and collaborate on events
- Stay visible – Advertise; participate in or plan protests, demonstrations, festivals, fundraisers, or other events in your school or community
For a more detailed guide to creating and maintaining a GSA, please visit GLSEN’s Jump-Start Guide for Gay-Straight Alliances!